Friday, January 18, 2013

Carmel plus Chocolate plus pecans = Turtleeeyy Goodness!

What is the perfect snack that provides the satisfaction one needs to fill a chocolate craving?
Turtles of course! These yummy treats are easy to make, kids love them and love to help make them, and you only need to eat one or two to satisfy your sweet tooth.

I'm a huge fan of candy making. I have loved making chocolate chocolate truffles over the years for friends, family and my favorite people. Everyone enjoys a special treat especially when it is home-made. It takes a little effort to make the time, but it is all worth it in the end when you can spoil the people you love.

My older sister Sue originally shared this turtle recipe with me years ago during Christmas time. I think it reminded her of the Saint Agnes Catholic School days when we had to go door to door selling these delectable boxed goodies. Our family couldn't really afford to buy them for us, a family of six, but we were expected to raise money anyway. How hard it was to not just open a package and eat the whole box ourselves.

 My sister and I also took over the tradition of making English toffee like my grandmother Leone made every year. It is my son Curtis' favorite dessert besides ice cream.
He is turning 28 this weekend. Yikes! Where did my little boy go? I think I will have to make a batch of toffee too!

Here is the easy peasy turtle recipe. You won't go back to buying store bought ones ever again.

Candy making day today.
TURTLES!Candy making day today.
TURTLES!


Turtles

1 bag of pecans (Roast them first in a preheated 325 degree oven on a sheet pan for @ 9 min or until you smell them. Take off sheet pan and cool) Not necessary, but a worthwhile step.

1 bag of Kraft Caramels (unwrap each one and put in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave them with the milk for 30 seconds at a time until melted)

1-2 T of milk (add to bowl of caramels)

1/2 Pound Dark or Milk Chocolate chopped into chunks and melted over a ban marie or melted carefully in a microwave safe bowl using same method as caramels 30 seconds at a time, stirring until melted.
Either way add a little more chopped chocolate to melted mixture and stir until melted to temper chocolate. By tempering chocolate, you won't end up with the white splotchy stuff on your finished product.

2 sheet pans lined with silpat or aluminum foil. Use butter or non-stick spray on foil lined pan so candy doesn't stick

Procedure:

Place 3 or 4 pecans together in bunches leaving a space between each.
Using a Tablespoon, scoop melted caramel over each bundle of pecans.
Using a Tablespoon, scoop melted chocolate and drop onto each bundle covering caramel.
Cool candy by putting sheet pan in fridge or freezer for a bit.
Remove from pan and place in a sealed tupperware container using layers of wax paper to keep candies from sticking.
I suppose you can freeze these too, but they never last that long in my house.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment