Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Let's Make Healthy Dog Treats!


Photo: Puppy treat day     Photo: Puppy treat day


I wanted to set myself apart from being just any ordinary job applicant. So after interviewing with a very nice woman from dental manufacturing company, I decided to send her treats. While putting away clean dishes and deciding what to make, I ran across a gift that has been sitting in my kitchen cupboard for years... A make your own doggie biscuit recipe book that included cookie cutters!

 Since both of my phone interviews involved side stories about how much we love our dogs, I decided this was a good idea to set myself apart from the rest of the competition.

I know it sounds a little crazy, many people have told me so. I don't care. It is who I am and it is what I do. I give gifts to people like flowers from my garden, homemade truffles, muffins, scones, cookies, you name it. I've probably given it.

So here is my recipe that I adapted from Jonna Anne's Healthy Doggie Biscuit recipe book.

Peanut Butter Goodies (for your dog)

3 C. Rice flour
1/2 C. Wheat flour
1/2 C. All purpose flour
1 1/2 C. Creamy Peanut Butter
1 1/2 C. Chicken broth
2 T. Canola Oil
1/4 C. Molasses

Mix together flours, peanut butter, chicken broth, canola oil and molasses in a stand mixer until blended adding additional water if necessary. Roll out between plastic wrap, cut out shapes and place onto sheet pans lined with parchment or use a silpat. Brush with heavy cream (optional).

Bake until sides of biscuits are golden @ 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
 Store in a Tupperware container or freeze for up to 1 month. 

This recipe makes a lot depending on what size cookie cutter you use. I made 6 dozen using various sizes.

You can modify the recipe and use all rice flour if your puppy needs gluten free biscuits.
  
My dog Baxter loves them! You might be temped to try one for yourself. Your house will smell gloriously like a peanut butter cookie.
Maybe you will get the job of your dreams too by sending treats to your next job interviewer. At the very least, they will have a happy and healthy puppy.

Teri:)                      

No comments:

Post a Comment