Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sinful "Sin"namon Rolls. Dare to take a bite?


Okay. If you are going to eat something like this sinful "Sin"namon roll everyday, you would be 400lbs. Let's have this tasty treat on a special occasion. I made these yesterday when it was cold and rainy outside. It was too cold to go on a hike and too muddy to play in my garden. These are the days I'm inspired to bake.
 Luckily I had already gotten in my hike for the week. I met my friend Donna last Friday and we explored a fun park nearby that lead us to open space. It was a beautiful clear day and I felt lucky to have found a new trail just a few blocks away from my home.

 Donna and I have been friends since our kids were in the same preschool. I don’t dare to say how many years that have gone by since then, but our friendship has stayed strong and grown over the years. I am so fortunate to have her in my life.
I also found time this week to plant some herb seeds before the rains came in. I planted lettuce, basil, parsley next to the already thriving lemon thyme, oregano, chives, arugula and mint. I love herbs planted near my kitchen so I can run out and cut a handful of them for soups, salads and especially fish recipes. If you ask me, fresh herbs play a big role in providing that extra wow factor in flavor and presentation.
I was inspired by taking a class on “Celebrating Fresh Sustainable Local Foods” last month in Brentwood. It was a fabulous class that discussed the history behind Brentwood corn, conserving farmland, composting, olive oil production, and container gardening. I learned a lot and have become more passionate about growing my own herbs, vegies and fruits in my own backyard.

Today, I’m celebrating "Sin"namon rolls. Cause, let's face it. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked right from the oven pastries. These tasty morsels are full of plump raisins, toasted pecans, brown sugar and butter. The layers of pastry allow one to peel off the sugary and crispy goodness bite after bite. I’ve doused them in cinnamon cardamom sugar after removing them from the oven just to be sure they are sweet enough. Want to be "sinful " too?  Dare to make this recipe.
Sinful "Sin" namon Rolls

1 sheet of frozen French puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm sold at most grocery stores)

1 whole egg beaten

¼ C. unsalted butter

½ C dark brown sugar

¾ C. chopped pecans (toast in 325 degree oven on sheet tray for 8 min)

¾ C raisins (I buy Trader Joe’s Jumbo Raisin Medley)

½ t cinnamon

½ t cardamom

Optional (½ C granulated sugar, ¼ t cinnamon, ¼ t cardamom) toss the rolls when hot from oven


Take the puff pastry out of freezer night before and place in fridge to defrost overnight. Or place on counter and wait until it is soft enough to work with. Do not microwave.
Displaying photo.JPG

Mix toasted nuts, butte, brown sugar and spices in Cuisinart until blended, or cut butter into mixture with a pastry cutter. Add raisins.  Brush entire pastry with beaten egg. Spread sugar nut mixture onto edge of puff pastry and roll it up keeping the mixture from coming out on the sides.
Displaying photo.JPG

Cut into 12 equal portions and place into greased muffin tins. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for @ 15-18 min or until browned on edges. Bake a little longer to be double sure they are cooked through. There is nothing worse than eating raw dough!
Displaying photo.JPG

Remove rolls with a tablespoon and drop into cinnamon, cardamom sugar. Roll around until coated.

Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee. This "Sin"namon roll is the perfect ending to my perfect week.

How about you? Ready to sweeten up your day? I dare you to take a bite.


No comments:

Post a Comment