Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Honey makes Chocolate Chip Cookies taste even better!


 

 

Most people love the taste of honey. I am not a huge fan. Whenever I had a cough, my mom would give me a huge tablespoon of honey. It was supposed to help calm my cough. It probably worked and that is why she always gave it to us kids when we were sick.

I dislike the taste, but I do use it to flavor my tea occasionally. Mrs. Miller, my ex mother-in law was a fabulous cook and always used a tablespoon of honey in her chocolate chip cookie recipe to make her  cookies more moist. It is a great tip for us cookie lovers.

I fell in love with chocolate chip cookies when I was a girl. We lived in a quiet neighborhood in Concord near a chef and caterer. This chef always had cookies stored in a Tupperware container in her outside freezer. Sometimes, she would ask me to take care of her house while on vacation. I couldn't resist taking a cookie or two from the freezer for my efforts. It was the perfect looking cookie. The chocolate chips were placed ever so carefully on each cookie before they were baked. They tasted amazing. They were so rich and chewy and chocolatey. She must have noticed a few cookies missing, but never said a word to me about it. I was ever so happy each time she left for a trip.

My absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe was shared with me while at my friends house. Donna made these cookies for me over 20 years ago while we were studying for a microbiology class and I still make them for my family and friends. They have oatmeal, coconut, walnuts and chocolate in them, so you feel like you are getting a little nutrition in your cookie. You won't ever go back to baking a plain chocolate chip cookie after you taste this cookie. I have added a little honey in the recipe to sweeten things up a bit.
 
Donna’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Crunchies

1 C.  butter or margarine
¾ C. Brown sugar
¾ C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ C. sifted flour
1 teas soda
1 teas salt
1 teas vanilla
1 teas hot water or coffee
1 C chopped walnuts
12 oz choc chips
2 C. Oatmeal
1 C shredded  or flaked coconut
1 Tablespoon  of honey

Blend butter w/ sugars until thoroughly combined. Add eggs one at a time, honey, then vanilla and scrape bowl often. Sift flour w/ soda and salt and incorporate into batter. Alternately, add hot water, oatmeal, chips, and walnuts and blend just until well incorporated.
Scoop batter into balls and press gently to flatten w/ powdered sugar hand.
Bake @ 350 degrees for  9-11 minutes (depending on the size of the scoop) until golden brown.
Enjoy!
Teri:)

1 comment: