Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Let's Celebrate the Heirloom Tomato!

HEIRLOOM TOMATOES WITH A TWIST OF PESTO AND MOZARELLA
                                          Photo: Heirloom tomatoes for dinner again. Yum!
     This year I shopped and planted by tomato garden in in early April. I attended the Master Gardener's tomato sale in Walnut Creek with my mom and her fiance. I picked up around 14 plants of all new and different varieties.  Staying away from Better Boy, Ace, and Early Girl my tried and true favorites, I purchased  Hearts of Passion, Cherokee Purple, Candystripe, and Black Zebra along with many others.

     A few plants were given away as an Easter gift for those favorite people who I knew would appreciate them. Some plants didn't flourish in my well prepared organic soil, but that was okay since I had so many others to rely on.

     The weather in the East Bay rained a lot and the tomato plants didn't start developing fruit until mid to late July. They typically like hot days and warm nights before the fruit becomes ripe. I also noticed that the heirloom varieties don't produce as many tomatoes, but the ones that do grow become very large and juicy.

     In any case, it was fun to see organic eats come from my garden to my table.
I am happy and always surprised to find a tomato hiding in the center of the bush, only to be plucked quickly off  and sometimes eaten the moment it is picked. So delicious!

     This recipe is extremely simple. It's not the same old Caprese Salad that you see everywhere.
You will need:

1 jar of pesto (I like La Romanella found at Smart and Final)
1 container of mozarella in water sliced
4 or 5 heirloom tomatoes of various colors sliced thick
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Place sliced tomatoes on a large serving platter. Arrange mozarella around tomatoes and drizzle the pesto onto the tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serves 6

Enjoy!
Teri:)

No comments:

Post a Comment